Here's an advertisement for a "debate" some Creationists are hosting, found via The Panda's Thumb. Take note if you see anything odd (you might need a full notebook for this).
Darwin or Design?
Part I: Sept 29-30
Sponsored by Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity (PSSI)
• USF’s Sun Dome
Friday night, Sept 29, at 7:00 p.m.
Dr. Michael Behe, author of Darwin’s Black Box
Dr. Ralph Seelke, research scientist in microbiology
Dr. Jonathan Wells, author of Icons of Evolution
Note: High school and college faculty and students will be admitted free of charge with appropriate ID.
The admission fee for all others is $5. For more information, call (813) 974-3111.
• Radisson Hotel Ballroom, Lectures with Open Forum Saturday, Sept 30, 10:00 a.m. until noon*
Drs. Michael Behe, Ralph Seelke and Jonathan Wells
* 12600 Roosevelt Blvd., St. Petersburg - www.radisson.com/stpetersburgfl
Note: Complimentary coffee and tea served. A free-will donation will be requested to help with expenses.
Part II: November 3-4
Co-Sponsors: PSSI and The Campus Humanistic Society
• The Great Debate: Darwin or Design?
Friday evening, Nov 3, at 7:30 p.m.
Grace Family Church in Tampa**
Featuring: Dr. Stephen Meyer, Ph.D. in philosophy of science, Cambridge University
and Dr. Donald Duh, professor (emeritus) at Whatever State University
** 5101 Van Dyke Rd, Lutz, FL – www.gracefamilychurch.org
• Exploring the Evidence of Design, Saturday, Nov. 4 Calvary Baptist Church, 9:00 a.m.-noon
Christ Community Church, 1:30-4:30 p.m.***
Featuring: Dr. Stephen Meyer of the Discovery Institute, Dr. Walter Bradley, Dean of Engineering at Baylor University and co-author of The Mystery of Life’s Origin, and Dr. Thomas Woodward, professor at Trinity College and author of Doubts about Darwin and Darwin Strikes Back
*** Calvary Baptist, 110 N. McMullen Booth Rd, Clearwater – www.calvarybaptist.org; Christ Community, 6202 N Himes Ave, Tampa, (813) 879-2077 – www.tampaccc.org
Where to begin? How about the part that got me laughing out loud when I first read through it: Dr. Donald Duh(ck), professor (emeritus) at Whatever State University. I mean, are these people trying to look like jokes? To be fair, this was actually a draft that got accidentally released and published, but reading it reveals explicitly how little they care about a serious debate. Other things revealing their nefarious intentions:
- The first part is sponsored by the Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity, which sounds good, but on a
close inspectionbrief glance at their homepage, they're revealed to merely be Creationist lapdogs.
- Look at the three people speaking. Behe and Wells have both written books trying to debunk Darwinism (not Evolution, the strawman of Darwinism they've created). Seelke at first looks like he might be legit, but his homepage shows that he's written a number of papers attacking evolution. So, not one person on the evolution side of the issue is speaking in the entire first part.
- The co-sponsors for the second part are PSSI (covered above) and the "Campus Humanistic Society." Let's look at the Campus Humanistic Society... Oh, wait, it apparently doesn't exist. It's apparently a fake organization put on the poster in order to make it appear that Humanists are sponsoring the debate. And, in the vein of "Evolutionists," they've gone and added an extra suffix to "Humanist" to make it look stupid (or maybe that wasn't intentional, in which it serves to make them look stupid). This kind of reminds me of a Creationist editor over at Wikipedia who used words like "scientifical."
- The debate is hosted at the Grace Family Church. Big conceit to neutral ground there, eh?
- Oh look, the next item is at the Calvary Baptist Church and the Christ Community Church. If possible, even more neutral. *eyeroll*
- And again, all the people listed for the next series of presentations are known Creationists.
- In the end, the only person there actual on the side of
EvolutionDarwinism is Dr. Donald Duh(ck). They sure picked a lunker there to balance out so many Creationists, eh?